Home About Shop Featured Contact Sponsor

Monday, November 21, 2011

Christmas Decor- Mel @ The Crafty Scientist

Imprintalish

I'm SOOO excited that Lish asked me to be part of the "Kick Off to Christmas" series here at her awesome blog because I LOVE Christmas!

I'm Mel and I blog over at The Crafty Scientist. I shared my Paint Chip Monogram here on Lish's blog awhile back (and she was awesome enough to share her yarn light at my blog).

I decided to whip up a few ornaments for you guys because I found these awesome glass ornaments at Hobby Lobby for 50% off and so I got a bunch of small glass ornaments for $3! I knew I had enough random craft supplies to make a couple awesome ones and I'm going to show you how I made these...





  • Glass ornaments (that you can take the top off of)
  • Ribbon (fairly narrow)
  • Glitter
  • Microbeads
  • (Heart) Sequins
  • Hot glue gun and glue
  • Lighter
  • Rhinestones
These are the glass ornaments I got... they're glass because no kids are involved (but I think some of these would be awesome in plastic ornaments for kids) and they're fairly small so that we can give several to people or use these as tags on presents. The confetti hearts ornament is the easiest, so I'll start with that!


You just want to take the top off of the ornament...


Grab your heart-shaped sequins (or glitter/confetti - whatever this is... it was something the boyfriend found around his parents' house and brought to me)...


And just fill up your ornament!

Put the lid back on and thread a ribbon through the top of the ornament. Use a lighter to seal the ends of the ribbon and voila!


(Yup, no tree or anything to decorate now, so I used this lamp...)


Now, on to the rhinestone ornament. I had these stick on rhinestones that the boyfriend's mother bought for me (I think she said they were on sale at Walmart... though it was a while ago, so I don't know for sure)...


They're the self-stick kind so I literally just picked a few off and put them on the ornament...


Add a ribbon, seal the ends, and you have another pretty ornament!



Pretty fun, right?



Now, on to the slightly more complicated ornaments... I have glitter and microbeads from jewelry-making, particularly these microbead and glitter pendants from this tutorial.


For the microbead ornament, I just added in a couple colors of microbeads... mostly these red ones...


Then, I added in some clear and silver microbeads into the ornament.


I thought I was done then, but unfortunately, some microbeads kind of leaked out so I had to improvise and add some hot glue to the top of the ornament where the little metal prong things are (those little holes).


Then I added some glue around the edge of the silver top of the ornament. It didn't look that pretty, so I glued a ribbon around the top of the ornament.


Again, thread the ribbon through the top, seal the ends, and ta da!



For the glittery ornament, I just added these two similar colored red glitters into an ornament...


Then, I just shook the ornament up and around and glued around the top of the ornament just like the microbead ornament.


I glued the ribbon around the edge and put a little rhinestone on it, threaded the ribbon through it, sealed the edges, and ta da!


(And with the rhinestone...)


In less than an hour and with supplies you probably already have, you can make 4 awesome ornaments!

There are tons of ways you can make these your own... I really wanted to put some Mod Podge in there with the glittery one to see what happened, but ran out of time on that idea! But I'd love to see any ornaments you guys make and I'd LOVE it if you came to visit me over at The Crafty Scientist!
Thanks so much for letting me be a part of this, Lish! And Merry Christmas!

I love how these turned out Mel! Thanks so much for sharing your ornaments with us, I can't believe how simple they are too...now I've just got to hunt down those glass balls...mmm...Merry Christmas to you too!!!

Linking up with Ginger Snap Crafts
Lish

1 comment:

Anora said...

Awesome! I need to make a great fun. great job please keep it up very very in inspiring idea.... I would love it in my house. Love the pop of color! Noe i have so many ideas about Christmas decor.....Thanks!
Christmas Scavenger Hunt