Home About Shop Featured Contact Sponsor

Friday, July 20, 2012

Self Portrait Mini Series-Week 2



Were you able to read up on the Self Portrait Tips last week? If not, be sure to swing by and catch up!
Ok…now on to the nitty-gritty details. {smiles} I shot the 4 images below with my Canon 5D Mark II and used my 50mm lens.


 
I used a mirror to capture two of these and the other two I was holding the camera at a distance. If shooting in manual, you’ll want to test the light and settings before holding your arm out. These are all pretty close….which is all you can really do using a 50mm lens. If you want a little flexibility, use a wide angle and then crop them to how you’d like them. Some challenges I had {I’ll be brutally honest….hee-hee}:
  1. My camera is heavy, so if I held it out too long….well, it cramped my arm.
  2. I had a hard time figuring out the right length to hold the camera out to capture myself and not just my forehead and chin.
  3. Shooting on manual was frustrating at times….I think that’s why I kept the ISO so high.
  4. I wanted to be more creative, but ended up laughing hard at the ridiculous captures and insane faces!
What will I do different next time? I will try a couple different locations, use a wide angle lens, wear makeup, and have as much fun as I can. The series of images below was captured with my itouch using Instagram! I love the creativity that Instagram gives. It’s fun to play with the filters…and the BLUR…well, that makes my heart flutter!! The nice thing about your iphone/itouch is that you can reverse the lens so you can see yourself. I did that on one of these, but the others were done in front of a mirror so I could see myself. I’m a little controlling like that. {big grin} .



If nothing else, I encourage you to have fun capturing yourself! DON’T BE AFRAID TO BE CREATIVE!! Can it be frustrating? YOU BET, but having a couple GREAT images in end is worth it all. HAPPY SHOOTING!

Next week, it's YOUR turn.

Teaming up with Kristine Lynn Photography, the host and co-hosts will pick one lucky winner. The winner will receive a $25 Starbucks card. Have you started to capture your self portrait? If no, be sure to start NOW. We'd {love} to have you link them up on the 27th! Please note that you do NOT need a professional camera. Camera phone shots, point and shoots, and/or Instagram photos are ALL welcome. ONE RULE: Head Shots ONLY. Any full body shots will not be considered for the competition. One winner will be chosen and will win a $25 Starbucks Gift Card, provided by Kristine Lynn Photography. Here’s to capturing an AMAZING self portrait!!

Brought to you by:



Subscribe to Updates | Like on Facebook | Follow on Pinterest


I can't wait to see what you guys have been working on...it's so hard to turn the camera around and photograph yourself!! But I am up for the challenge and hope to see you guys back next friday for the link up :)
Lish

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Great post. I love the pointers too. It's so hard to do self portraits!! And, I must say, our freckles are sisters. :)