Home About Shop Featured Contact Sponsor

Friday, December 12, 2014

The Stockings Were Hung...Recycled Sweater {DIY} Stockings

A few months ago I stumbled upon these cute little stockings while out shopping. They were just so darn cute-look at the shape- I couldn't leave them behind! However, I could only find 3 that I liked color wise. All of the stockings colors were a bit on the dark side for me, but my brain started turning and I thought perhaps I could copy them and add a bit of punch of color in the ones that I made....


So off I went in search of some colorful-kinda coordinating-sweaters at the local Goodwill...

I got 5 sweaters so that I had a variety of colors and patterns to choose from, I wanted some turquoises and pinks, but also wanted to keep some basics in there too like black and grey, just so they didn't look too out of place compared to the originals.

To copy the stocking pattern, I turned the original inside out and laid it out on the sweater I choose for the backing. I tried to use the original hem for the top of the stocking too-less sewing!

And then went from there, cutting and piecing together several colors to get the look I wanted. And then I started sewing...which ended in disaster for stocking #1...

How I thought this was going to be a piece of cake, I'm not sure, lol! I'm not an advanced sewer, but I can manage a sewing machine. But like any project, it's all a matter of trial and error...word to the wise...remember to reverse your sweaters so that the part you want facing out is on the inside of the stocking...oops...

Oh and once you get to the sewing part....The photo below shows where I should have made my first stitch. Sew the two smaller pieces at the bottom of the stocking together first, and then attach the longer part of the stocking. I tried sewing the longer part to the 2 smaller ones first-ya, not so much....

For the final step, sew the outline of the stocking...And then turn it inside right to admire your handy work :)

The final step is the fun part! Adding buttons.....



And voila!
Whatcha think? They look pretty sweet, huh?



...four for this year and five for next ;)

Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

No comments: