Home About Shop Featured Contact Sponsor

Saturday, May 5, 2012

TV & Learning

I in no way approve of using TV as a babysitter for your kids. It's so unfair to not only to them but to yourself. Really, is what your doing more important that spending time with your kids?

But have I used TV as a babysitter before? Yes. Have I lost track of time while checking emails and realized that Grayson has been sitting in font of the TV for an hour. Yes.

Do I feel awful for letting that happen? Yes.

Does Grayson cry and throw temper tantrums when I shut of the TV in the middle of his favorite show? Yes. I would probably throw a temper tantrum if someone turned of my favorite show too.
So I let him watch it till the end and we shut it off and go play.
Not the end of the world.
His brain cells are all still intact. I think.

And yep, there is tons of controversy over how much TV children should and shouldn't watch and what programs are educational and not...blah, blah, blah...obviously TV is not a reliable source of education...

BUT....I have a story...

Today, just before supper, Grayson asked if he could set the table (he'll be 3 in June). We said sure and didn't think much of it as we were running around trying to get Westyn's food ready and not burn ours, you know, typical supper time things...


I went out to the table to get something and when I looked I saw this...

The silverware was completely set, Grayson's in his spot, Mommy and Daddy's in the right spot and a little spoon for Westyn in the corner where his high chair sits.

So I don't know if this is normal for a 3 year old to want to do or even know how to do this, but the funny thing is that we never set the table. I have never showed him how to, Mike has never showed him how to. I usually plate everything up in the kitchen and we carry it to the table. So I was a bit stunned. Maybe one day many moons ago we may have set the table, but would he actually remember where everything went? Mind you, the spoons, forks and knives weren't in the exact right spot...

But he did a pretty good job! So I asked him where he learned how to set the table...
His answer...Special Agent Oso...!!!! Bahaha!

Do you let your kids watch TV, and if so how much?
Lish



4 comments:

Shirley said...

We don't have cable or satellite, so the only things my children watch are the movies/tv episodes that we own. We have definitely lowered the amount of time that the TV is on, which is good, because it is opening up time for the kids to play together and use their imaginations together, which is awesome to see. -Shirley

Chelsea Olivia said...

So cute! I guess a little TV time is good for something haha

Melanie said...

BAHHHHAHAHA HA! That is hilarious & super cute. Jax loves him some Oso too! I am also guilty for time getting away from me & monkey watchn a lil too much tube at times. This made me feel better! Thanks to Dora Jax knows more Spanish than mommy! Lol)

Hey, would LOVE for you to link your fav photo of the week up with Finagle a Foto!!

http://happyjax-melanie.blogspot.com/2012/05/finagle-foto-12-best-of-week.html

EMily said...

Oh my...the TV...when I was on maternity leave and leading up to the birth we had the TV on WAY too much. I will say, the boy has learned a thing or two of the programs he watches, and we mostly just let him watch PBS programs, and sometimes a Nick Jr. program, but now that it is nice out and little brother is on a semi-regular schedule, we don't let him watch as much tv as he did...maybe one program a day if he's lucky.