Home About Shop Featured Contact Sponsor

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

DIY Chicken Wire Pendant Light

Awhile ago, you may have read my post here, about the beginning stages of our kitchen remodel. I was indecisive on the light over our sink-which happens to be the only light in our kitchen right now. Then, I saw a chicken wire pendant lamp on my travels on the internet and thought, hey, I could attempt that! The only thing stopping me was that I didn't want a wire hanging down from the ceiling, like the ones you get in the DIY Light kits. After scouring stores and shops online I was coming up empty handed-I really didn't want to spend $200 plus! Then, I came across this light from Walmart that only cost $16.99! My brain started spinning and after some brainstorming in the lighting aisle with my kids and hubs...Grayson picked out this lovely burgundy lamp...
So my transformation started...and here's how I did it!

Part 1
1. Remove the fabric and glue off the current lampshade to expose the two rings (top and bottom). I used scissors, a utility knife, Goo Gone and lots of elbow grease!
2. Spray paint all lamp pieces black.

Then the fun begins....

Part 2- Supplies

 Wire cutters
Pliers
Chicken wire
Rings from your lampshade
Wire


I folded my sheet of chicken wire in half to make it look a bit thicker when on the lamp. I then measured out the length I needed by wrapping the wire around one of rings. I left a little extra at the ends so I would have some playing room when fastening it together. Then, cut the chicken wire to the desired size.


1. Warning-this project is not good for your manicure!
2. I gently shaped the chicken wire as I went along the ring, folding about half an inch over all the way around. Once you get to where the two sides meet use tiny pieces of wire to fasten the chicken wire together. (Sorry-no photo for that one!)
3. I then went back over the folded edges and used pliers to make sure it was good and tight.
4. With the bottom finished it resembles a cylinder shape.

5. Gently push the top ring inside the cylinder shape.
6. Position it at the desired height.
7. Bend the chicken wire around the lamp shade ring as you did for the bottom ring.
8. Use the pliers to tighten the wires in place.

 
Voila! Your finished chicken wire lamp shade.

Part 3
Installing your new pendant lamp
...Get your husband to do it! LOL!

To sum it up... you flip the base upside down. Pull back the fabric on the bottom of your lamp and strip back the wires to join them to the wires in the ceiling...boy, does this sound technical or what? Obviously I am not an electrician, well, neither is Mike, but he did it! He fastened the lamp to the ceiling with some butterfly clips, and that is all I know! :D

I love it! It's whimsical, rustic, modern and kitchy all in one-totally me! I love the way the light dances on the ceiling too!


Lish

44 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks amazing! What a neat idea. I am a new follower through your grow your blog series..

Meeha Meeha said...

WHOA! Although I've seen before some "stripped down" lamp shades, this one has style! Thank you for leaving a sweet comment on my umbrella gift box:)

Adrianne Surian said...

OK, the chicken wire wouldn't work with my decor personally, but I LOVE that you just used a regular lamp for this!! How innovative!

Alyx said...

Oh my gosh! I LOVE THIS! You never fail to surprise/amaze me with your craftiness.

Redfly Classroom said...

Thank you for being part of the blog hop. I became one of your followers.

If you get a chance, I would love for you to stop by my blog sometime.

Melissa
redflycreations.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

Nice! I like it.

Charade said...

I love this idea. I may have to borrow it for my not-lit-enough kitchen. Thanks for the tutorial.

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

This is cute! Stopping by from the Blog Hop. I am a new follower. Hope you'll stop by sometime! www.bearrabbitbear.com

Blissful & Domestic said...

Visiting form the blog hop. Now following your cute blog. Would love for you to stop by and say hi!

http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com

Live Laugh Rowe said...

Good job, girl!! I {love} the rustic-ness of it. YAY! Pinning :)

Digger said...

ooooooo I love this!!!! Amazing! :) Great job!

Janel from NellieBellie said...

You rocked this! This is great...cheap, clever, and stylish. Perfect combination.

Andie Jaye said...

that's perfect! can't wait to see the finished space! thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

Charisa said...

This turned out really great! This leads to so many possibilities - I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with ugly glass shades on pendant lights in our kitchen...You've got me thinking!

Ginger said...

So fun! Stealing this idea for my porch!

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

What a smart idea! I am sure you are loving it! We would be thrilled for you to share this at our link party! Our readers would enjoy it!

Take care! Trish @ Uncommon

www.uncommondesignsonline.com

Amy Fredrikson said...

Love what you did with this light!

Amy Fredrikson said...

P.S. I also thought I'd let you know that your header says "prendant". Not a big deal but I always appreciate when someone tells me when I do these things ;)

jacky @ small home love said...

I'm loving this lamp, it came out great. What a great idea to hang the whole thing from the ceiling!

Lori said...

What an inspiration...I hate that I tossed that old ugly shade. I'm a new follower on GFC. Hope to see you soon, Lori

Tisha Clapp said...

LOVE THIS! I'm all about chicken wire, pendant lights, and of course, DIY transformations from blah to aaahhhhhh. Who would have thought to turn a lamp upside down??!! I'd love it if you'd share this at my Show & Tell party, going on now @ the Delectable Home.

The Remodeled Life said...

What a great idea! I love the way it turned out. It looks awesome!

Melanie said...

Holy craption! If I didn't love you so much... I would SO hate you! This is super cool.

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Wow! That is so very cool! I love the step-by-step photos too. Saw you at Happy Hour Projects. Nice job!

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

Oh, this is too cool- LOVE this!!!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Very creative and unique. I'm your newest follower via the Fingerprints on the Fridge link party. :) I'm excited to explore your blog. ~ Megan

Julie said...

Love this lamp! You did an awesome job! Found you via TT&J.

Julie
www.vibrant-designs.net

Lolly Jane said...

Lish this is stinkin AHmazeING! Love love love! Gotta try it fo sho! Thanks for sharing!! XOXO

Revi said...

This is great! It looks good and it's such a clever idea, too. :)
-Revi

Leslie said...

WOW!!! This is SO clever! I like it a lot! Thanks for sharing.

chateau chic said...

Oh WOW, how great is that! What a creative idea. Love it!!
I'm your newest follower, Mary Alice

Anonymous said...

Your pendant turned out gorgeous! I've got this linked to my chicken wire post too today, for inspiration!

ARK said...

Cool look - for cheap!! i like it~!!

Unknown said...

I have a friend that did this and totally have been crushing on it...you did great!!! XO, Aimee

vsutton said...

Cutest thing EVAH! !!

Unknown said...

I love this!! Can I just borrow it for...like, ever?? ;-)

I'll be featuring you later today! Thanks so much for linking up!!

Bliss said...

I just stopped over from your feature on 52 Mantels. What a great idea that shade is, I'm gonna pin it.

~Bliss~

Stacey said...

This is unique and cool - love!!! I am currently having a linky party on my blog and I would love if you came by to link this up! I would love to have you!
Stacey of Embracing Change
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

Stacey said...

Featured your project today - it is awesome! Come and have a look and grab a button!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Unknown said...

Love it! Love it! Love it! And would love for you to share on our Creative Corner Blog Hop Creative Corner Hop.
Your newest GFC follower.

Holly
Holly's Stamping Addiction

Homeroad said...

I love this!
Susan
Homeroad

My best friends blog said...

This is great! Just found you from the blog hope. We hope you will check out our blog!
http://mybest-friendsblog.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Lighting store offering premium superb Led lights, Pendant lights and electrical fittings at a reasonable cost. Get Pendant lights Australia. Here are alternative for the pendant lights, pendant light, pendant lights australia, web based lighting, table lights and Pendant lighting.

Hill said...

Good website! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I could be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your feed which must do the trick! Have a great day!
Supergreen Solutions Cairns